Nutrition, Family and Consumer Sciences
NFCS Program at UC Cooperative Extension in Riverside County connects the people of Riverside County with research and resources from the University of California.
NFCS Program is working to address two UC ANR Strategic Vision 2025 Initiatives:
1) Healthy Families and Communities
- Promoting healthy behaviors for childhood obesity prevention
- Helping consumers make informed decision regarding food choices, nutrition and health
- Improving consumers' food management skills
2) Ensure Safe and Secure Food Supplies
- Educating community organizations and consumers on safe food handling practices
On May 16th Riverside UC CalFresh team joined our Champions for Change partners to promote the “Rethink Your Drink Day”, a California Department of Public Health Statewide Day of Action to spread the message about the importance of replacing sugary beverages with unsweetened options or water. Beverages account for almost half (47 percent) of all added sugars consumed by the U.S. population, and people who drink one or more sugary drinks per day have a 26 percent higher risk for developing type 2 diabetes than those who do not drink sugary drinks or drink less than one serving a month.