Nutrition, Family and Consumer Sciences
NFCS Program at UC Cooperative Extension in Riverside County connects the people of Riverside County with research and resources from the University of California.
NFCS Program is working to address two UC ANR Strategic Vision 2025 Initiatives:
1) Healthy Families and Communities
- Promoting healthy behaviors for childhood obesity prevention
- Helping consumers make informed decision regarding food choices, nutrition and health
- Improving consumers' food management skills
2) Ensure Safe and Secure Food Supplies
- Educating community organizations and consumers on safe food handling practices
During March 2018 which coincides with the National Nutrition Month, Senator Richard Roth (Riverside) visited Wells Middle School to hear about the school's achievement in student wellness. Wells Middle School recently received Gold Award from the Alliance for a Healthier Generation's National Healthy Schools Program. UC CalFresh is proud to be a partner in this success. UC CalFresh Educator, Claudia Carlos, has been working with the P.E. teachers at Wells Middle School for a number of years to provide nutrition education and help students learn to live healthier lifestyles.