Nutrition, Family and Consumer Sciences
NFCS Program at UC Cooperative Extension in Riverside County connects the people of Riverside County with research and resources from the University of California.
NFCS Program is working to address two UC ANR Strategic Vision 2025 Initiatives:
1) Healthy Families and Communities
- Promoting healthy behaviors for childhood obesity prevention
- Helping consumers make informed decision regarding food choices, nutrition and health
- Improving consumers' food management skills
2) Ensure Safe and Secure Food Supplies
- Educating community organizations and consumers on safe food handling practices
Coronavirus disease 2019, also known as COVID-19, is spreading in the United States. The disease causes respiratory illness such as cough, fever, and in more severe cases, trouble breathing. The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home if you can. If you must go out, maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from others.
More information and advice on COVID-19 prevention can be found below:
Specific information for pregnant and breastfeeding women can be found below:
Specific information for those caring for children can be found below:
*211 Community Connect
*Dial 2-1-1 for FREE, 24-hour resource hub linking you to thousands of local health and human services. Staffed 24 hours per day
*Riverside County Unemployment Office
*1325 Spruce Street. Riverside, CA 92507
Emergency food assistance resources for Riverside County
Grocery stores and many farmers markets will remain open and stocked throughout the statewide stay-at-home order. There is no need to stockpile grocery items or household goods. Buy only what you need. Many grocery stores and farmers markets have adjusted their hours, and some have designated priority shopping hours for seniors. Potable tap water is safe to drink and is not a carrier of COVID-19.
CalFresh (SNAP) application
Food banks & other sites
*Inland Empire Food Bank
*2950 Jefferson Street, Riverside, CA 92504
*Phone: 951-359-4757Find a Pantry
Women, Infants, & Children (WIC)
*Helps families, pregnant women, new mothers, infants and young children get healthy foods, nutrition education and community resources at no cost
Meals on Wheels & Senior Meals
*Riverside County Office on Aging
School meal sites
Food safety and storage
It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface with the virus on it and then touching their mouth or nose. Read more on food safety and food storage below: *https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/