Nutrition, Family and Consumer Sciences
The NFCS Program at UC Cooperative Extension in Riverside County connects the people of Riverside County with research and resources from the University of California.
NFCS Program is working to address two UC ANR Strategic Vision 2025 Initiatives:
1) Healthy Families and Communities
- Promoting healthy behaviors for childhood obesity prevention
- Helping consumers make informed decision regarding food choices, nutrition and health
- Improving consumers' food management skills
2) Ensure Safe and Secure Food Supplies
- Educating community organizations and consumers on safe food handling practices
School Garden Education
Coronavirus disease 2019, also known as COVID-19, is spreading in the United States. The disease causes respiratory illness such as cough, fever, and in more severe cases, trouble breathing. The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home if you can. If you must go out, maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from others.
More information and advice on COVID-19 prevention can be found below:
With technology, the traditional brain break in the classroom has gone digital! Over 650 teachers participated in the Brain Breaks in the Virtual World session at the Alvord Unified Distance Learning Virtual Summit on August 3, 2020. CalFresh Healthy...
The UC Davis’ Center for Nutrition in Schools has created and research-tested the Shaping Healthy Choices Program (SHCP) since 2012. This evidence-based program is a multi-component, school-based intervention addressing the complex issue of behavior change and childhood obesity. In 2016, about 48% of teens in Riverside County were designated obese (highest 5th percentile) and 11% overweight (www.ask.chis.ucla.edu). Recognizing this issue, the UC CalFresh Nutrition Education Program in Riverside County partnered with two school districts to implement the Shaping Healthy Choices Program.