Nutrition, Family and Consumer Sciences
The NFCS Program at UC Cooperative Extension in Riverside County connects the people of Riverside County with research and resources from the University of California.
NFCS Program is working to address two UC ANR Strategic Vision 2025 Initiatives:
1) Healthy Families and Communities
- Promoting healthy behaviors for childhood obesity prevention
- Helping consumers make informed decision regarding food choices, nutrition and health
- Improving consumers' food management skills
2) Ensure Safe and Secure Food Supplies
- Educating community organizations and consumers on safe food handling practices
School Garden Education
Coronavirus disease 2019, also known as COVID-19, is spreading in the United States. The disease causes respiratory illness such as cough, fever, and in more severe cases, trouble breathing. The best way to prevent illness is to get vaccinated to protect yourself and others and avoid being exposed to this virus:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- If you go out, wear a mask that fits tightly and maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from others.
More information and advice on COVID-19 prevention can be found below:
Science Night is an evening of hands-on science activities for students and their families to do together. Science Night is an opportunity for parents to visit their children's schools to celebrate student learning. Since the coronavirus pandemic...
Forty percent of Coachella Valley children aged 2 to 17 are overweight or obese (2013, harcdata.org). Located in a remote area with limited access to fresh fruit and vegetables, the Torres Martinez Desert Cahuilla Indian Reservation covers 24,024 acres of desert spanning part of Coachella Valley and Imperial County, with an estimated population of 4,000. The tribal headquarters, in the unincorporated community of Thermal, is the location of the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). TANF is charged with providing assistance and social support to families with children on the reservation. TANF Family Preservation Services, Youth Division was interested in nutrition education that would help children develop good eating habits and a healthy lifestyle.